Case study: Subtitling Translation of Academic
SWAYAM is a programme initiated by Government of India and designed to achieve the three cardinal principles of Education Policy viz., access, equity and quality. The objective of this effort is to take the best teaching learning resources to all, including the most disadvantaged. SWAYAM seeks to bridge the digital divide for students who have hitherto remained untouched by the digital revolution and have not been able to join the mainstream
of the knowledge economy.
IIITH came to KPT as they were looking to localize a major portion of their digital courses from English to Hindi, Kannada, Marathi, Telugu. Scope included localization of course content and subtitles localization using latest localization tools. The total wordcount for this project was 1.5 million across 4 languages and this had to be completed in 3 months.
About the Project:
KPT provided subtitle localization in Hindi, Kannada, Marathi and Telugu for 4 courses in different domains, Environmental Science, Education, Law totaling over 1.5 million words.
• Service name: Course Content, Subtitle Localization
• Language Pair: English to Hindi, Kannada, Marathi, Telugu
• Service type: Translation & Translation Check
• Word count: 1.5 million
• Web site: https://onlinecourses.swayam2.ac.in/
• Industry: Digital E-Learning
• Project involving 1.5 million word count to be translated into 4 languages
• Localization experts with excellent knowledge of Environmental Science, Education and Law
• Use of proprietary translation management system, Transflow for end to end management
• Stringent client review and QA process met by KPT Project Management team
• Accomplished Project milestones & Client expectations within a very challenging time
Solution provided by KPT to client
Localization experts with Environmental Science, Education and Law were handpicked through stringent selection process. For this high profile project selecting the right linguists with the knowledge of relevant subject area was vital. We used our proprietary tool that automatically selects an ideal list of linguists from our database that are required for the project. Selection is based on a proprietary algorithm
built in our project management workflow system, which selects the best, most highly skilled linguistic team. For this project, we short-listed linguists with expertise in Environmental Science,Education and Law.
Maintaining high quality standards via real time co-ordination with client reviewer
Client had a full time QA reviewer to review the entire translated content. The course content and subtitles were translated in different languages like Hindi, Kannada, Marathi and Telugu, so our team had to ensure that there was consistency in style & tone and local adaptation due to regional specific language requirements. The review process was real time and the client
reviewer would share feedback on a daily basis through proprietary platform which was accessible to both the teams and the required updates were done within 24-48 hours.
- Transcription: Transcribing the audio track from video file.
- Spotting- Defining in and out times to synchronize with video
- Translation- Translating from Source Language
- Correction- Check for sentence structure, comprehension and overall flow
- Simulation- Merge the translated subtitles with Video & make modifications of text & timing
- Final QA
- Effective communication of information to the target audience
About KeyPoint Technologies
KeyPoint Technologies through its proven expertise has pioneered native language messaging and communication with world’s largest language base. Spearheading research in linguistics and AI, it has built the best suited next generation language and device solutions. We are trusted partners to OEMs, Operators, and App Developers for developing intelligent interfaces, engines & input experiences. Our product range includes world’s first AI powered, user-initiated, multi-lingual, search and discovery platform,
Xploree; A multilingual, multipurpose conversational chatbot called Xbot. We are also identified as a leader in the localization industry, providing end-to-end translation and localization solutions to help our clients attain their global communication, marketing and revenue goals.